Marlborough Towne Chapter, NSDAR, was organized on October 15, 1966, by Mrs.
Robert Bowie Ghiselin Sasscer, in the town of Upper
Marlboro, Maryland. Our
new members and guests. Women interested in joining
our chapter should email Membership
- please use
DAR Membership as a subject line and include your name,
address, and telephone number. Refer to Eligibility
for membership details.
Two and one-half centuries ago, on the
twenty-eighth day of March, 1721, the Justices of Prince George’s
County, according to the directions of the act of
assembly, ”…adjourned Themselves from Charles Town to MARLBOROUGH
Towne…there to meet at three o’clock in the afternoon…” at
the new courthouse. Charles
Town, now gone, had served as the county seat since April 23, 1696,
when Prince George’s County was organized. During the ensuing years, Marlborough
Towne, now listed by the
Post Office as Upper Marlboro, was destined to witness events as the
seat of county government.
1814, Francis Scott Key, while attempting to obtain the release of
Dr. William Beanes, a prominent resident of Upper Marlborough, was
detained in Baltimore Harbor during the bombardment of Fort McHenry. On this occasion, Key wrote the words to our National Anthem.
Dr. Beanes served on the committee of Prince Georgians to
carry into effect the resolutions adopted by the First Continental
Congress. He was a
surgeon in the general hospital at Philadelphia during the
Revolutionary War. His
tomb is near the site of his home in Upper Marlboro.
The tomb was marked by Marlborough Towne Chapter, NSDAR, in
Chapter Contact: Membership
Website maintained by
Maryland VIS Committee
Revised: April 14, 2011