The Colonel John Streett Chapter of the NSDAR was
organized by Katherine Streett Davis Scarborough on October 12, 1964. Mrs.
Scarborough, the Organizing Regent of our Chapter and the Streett Family Historian, is a
direct descendant of Colonel John Streett (July 30, 1762 - May 7, 1836).
The Streett family is one of the oldest families in
northern Harford County, Maryland. Colonel John Streett was the son of Thomas
Streett, who came to America from England with his brothers, David and John, early in the
eighteenth century. In 1759, Thomas Streett received a patent for a tract of 700
acres near Rocks, Maryland called "Streett's Hunting Ground."
It was on this plantation that John Streett was born.
In 1784, John married Martha St. Clair, and they had seven sons and two daughters.
Many of their descendants are living in Harford County today.
On February 12, 1812, John Streett was commissioned as
colonel of the 7th Regiment of the Harford County Cavalry and was a hero in the battle of
the North Point during the War of 1812. His portrait hangs in the Harford County,
Maryland Court House. Colonel John Streett was commended by Major General Samuel
Smith for his bravery and efficiency in action.
In addition to managing his plantation, Colonel John
Streett took an active part in politics and served in the Maryland Legislature for twelve
consecutive terms from 1799 to 1811. He was buried in a private cemetery on the
Streett Estate, but was moved to Holy Cross Episcopal Church Cemetery. The Streett
Family gave the land and built the church in 1888.